My friend Don introduced me to a study style for groups who may be new to reading the Bible. The goal is to meet once a week and to allow God to speak through the scriptures. To help the group keep from gravitating toward relying on an answer-man, the role of leader is shared from week to week and minimized to someone who keeps the discussion running through the following questions:
- What is one thing you are thankful for today?
- What is one thing that you are struggling with?
- Can someone retell the story from last time and briefly tell what we learned?
- How did it go with your “I will…” statement from last week?
- Did you share what you learned with someone? How did it go?
- Have different people read this week’s story.
- Can someone retell the story in their own words?
- Is there anything more to add? (That we missed in the text? Remember to keep the discussion limited to what the particular reading says and not to include what might be mentioned in some other section of scripture. This helps maintain a sense of the group being rooted in the passage, and makes it easier for all to be sure that when the following questions are answered, the answers are reflections based on the passage.)
- What do you hear God teaching you in this story/passage?
- What does this passage/story tell us about God/Jesus?
- What does this passage/story us about people?
- How can you put your learning into action?
- “I will…”
- How will you share what you learned?
- Who else could benefit from this teaching?
Scripture Stories to Read
Stories that Point to Jesus
- Creation, Genesis 2
- Cain and Abel, Genesis 4
- Noah, Genesis 6-9
- Abraham, Genesis 12:1-9 and Genesis 22:1-18
- King David, 1 Samuel 16-17 and Psalm 23
- Daniel, Daniel 1 & 6
- Birth, Luke 1:1-56 and Luke 2:1-20
- Baptism, Mark 1:1-15
- First Disciples, Luke 5:1-11
- Enemies, Luke 6:27-49
- Washing Jesus Feet, 7:36-50
- Healing a Cripple, Mark 2:1-12
- Casting out Demons, Luke 8:26-39
- Great Commandment, Luke 10:25-37
- The Lord’s Prayer, Matthew 6:5-18
- Lost Sheep and Son, Luke 15:1-31
- Crucifixion, Luke 23
- Resurrection, Matthew 28:1-10
- Commission, Matthew 28:16-20
- The Holy Spirit, Acts 1:1-11 and 2:1-41
- Conversion, Acts 9
- Barnabas and Saul, Acts 13
- Gifts, 1 Corinthians 12
- Warfare, Ephesians 6:10-20
- Jesus’ Return, 1 Thessalonians 4:13-5:11